Monday, July 20, 2026

Whole new world

It feels so weird, this new bardo I'm in and am trying to adapt to.
This post-diagnosis bardo. 

Here are the bare-bone facts:
1. I have incurable breast cancer. Invasive ductal cells escaped their genetic programming and emigrated to all corners of, what may well have seemed to them a whole planet to conquer, but in fact is just my body.  Incurable. 
2. I do not have any pain or disability, so far. 
3. I'm taking my pills. I'm on my third day of taking them. So far, they have not bothered me. They have not provoked any unwelcome reactions from my sensory nervous system. 

The MRI was 2 days ago, with all those failed attempts to find a vein for an IV that wouldn't collapse into uselessness. 
So, yesterday I woke up and noticed a weird red streak that tracked perfectly along some visible veins on my arm.
Uh-oh, what's this? This is what I mean by "whole new world." How do I know it if's some sort of existentially important sign or not? 
At least it didn't hurt. 

It zigzagged up the inside of my forearm from the IV site near the wrist, and stopped just above the elbow crease. I marked my skin with a ballpoint pen where the end of the streak was. I watched it for a little while. I thought, if it goes past here, that makes it more salient. I googled, "red streak arm after IV for MRI," or something, and got back advice to get medical eyeballs on it and don't hesitate. 

So I took my arm in to the ER. 
It was a Sunday morning before 9:00 am.
It wasn't busy. They took me in right away. 
Turned out to be innocuous, so, yay about that. The doctor explained that if it felt hard to palpation it could mean clots, or if it felt tender it could mean serious allergic reaction. Simple redness without the other two aspects, should be gone in a week, that it was not going to kill me any time soon, I could relax.
I figure maybe it meant something in there had not liked the taste of the contrast dye.
I was given an antihistamine pill for the skin redness (because medical people like to feel needed? Maybe? Like they've done an action? Fulfilled a ritual?). 
That was that. 

Today it seems faded. Yay about that. 
I'm learning to discern new but inconsequential stuff. With guidance. I'm such a newbie patient to this medical washing machine. 

No comments: