Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Post-infusion

Yesterday I went for my first infusion. So far I've tolerated the pill stuff just fine, deep into my second week now, no noticeable change in well-being from the pills. 

At least a vein was found that cooperated with the nurse.  She explained that for contrast dyes, larger needles are needed. This needle was tiny by comparison. She also warmed my hands first, put a small hot gel pack over them and wrapped them in a blanket for a few minutes to get the veins to stick out better. 

Today, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I'm especially not happy about the left foot gout pain that came roaring back overnight. 

In fact, overnight were many many wake-ups, roll over and settle-back-downs. Not exactly restful. My back is sore and I now have a dry cough, fatigue, sensitive everywhere. Crabby body syndrome. My somatosensory nervous system is wondering how to arrange divorce from me. 

The substance infused was zoledronic acid. I'm told it's to "protect bone cells" from the other chemo. 
Uh-huh.
My bones really do not like it. My GI system doesn't either. This is the exact opposite of a peaceful easy feeling. 

I'm told by googleAI that the first time is usually the worst for sideFX from infusion.  
I remember the first time I ever used whitening strips on my teeth, and how my mouth filled instantly with saliva which I suppose was a protective effort by my somatosensory system. It only happened that one time, that first time. My system got used to them.
I remember my recent cataract surgery, how scary it was, how nervous I was, how it took a LOT of numbing drops before I could not feel my cornea being touched. Then the second eye two weeks later? Piece of cake. Way smoother. 

This was my first infusion, and it's all novel stimuli. Maybe google AI is correct and future infusions won't cause such upheaval.

Lately I've been listening to "Dust in the Wind" over and over. 
"Don't hang on: nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky." 

In about an hour, I'll be getting a phone call from a person from MAiD, a preliminary interview. After that I may just go back to bed. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending you a gentle hug.

Wanda A said...

May this pass as quickly as possible and never rear its ugly head again. Hang in there.