Some papers I’ve gathered up, on page 79 of 85 at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FJ9jWwUIcEr7kJ07DJMitYW3C0nLHJU_cJoO_U2Rx28/edit#
1. Wellens F; The traditional mechanistic paradigm in the teaching and practice of manual therapy : Time for a reality check. www.physioaxis.ca © 2010
2. Zusman M. Forebrain-mediated sensitization of central pain pathways: 'non-specific' pain and a new image for MT. Man Ther. 2002 May;7(2):80-8.
3. Zusman M. Structure-oriented beliefs and disability due to back pain. Aust J Physiother. 1998;44(1):13-20.
4. Zusman M; The meaning of mechanically induced responses. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy Volume 40, Issue 1, 1994, Pages 35–39 (FULL TEXT PDF)
5. Lederman E. The fall of the postural-structural-biomechanical model in manual and physical therapies: exemplified by lower back pain. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2011 Apr;15(2):131-8.
6. Lederman E; The myth of core stability. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010 Jan;14(1):84-98
7. Hartman SE; Why do ineffective treatments seem helpful? A brief review. Chiropractic & Osteopathy 2009, 17:10 doi:10.1186/1746-1340-17-10 (OPEN ACCESS)
8. Pekka Kuittinen, Petri Sipola, Tapani Saari, Timo Juhani Aalto, Sanna Sinikallio,Sakari Savolainen, Heikki Kröger, Veli Turunen, Ville Leinonen and Olavi Airaksinen. Visually assessed severity of lumbar spinal canal stenosis is paradoxically associated with leg pain and objective walking ability. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders Clinical diagnostics and imaging Volume 15 (OPEN ACCESS)
9. Sutton C, Nono L, Johnston RG, Thomson OP. The effects of experience on the inter-reliability of osteopaths to detect changes in posterior superior iliac spine levels using a hidden heel wedge. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2013 Apr;17(2):143-50
10. Pattyn E, Rajendran D. Anatomical landmark position – Can we trust what we see? Results from an online reliability and validity study of osteopaths. Manual Therapy Volume 19, Issue 2, April 2014, Pages 158–164
11. Video, 7:21 Andreo Spina; The easily fooled nervous system: How immediate changes in NS function are misinterpreted Apr. 9, 2015 (I include this because it’s important to stay humble, faced by the overwhelmingly self-corrective capacity of the nervous system in another person. In other words, we shouldn’t let ourselves take credit for successfully interacting with someone else’s nervous system, or as manual therapists, remain married to invasive or unnecessarily violent forms of treatment.)
12. Lorimer Moseley; Unraveling the Barriers to Reconceptualization of the Problem in Chronic Pain: The Actual and Perceived Ability of Patients and Health Professionals to Understand the Neurophysiology. The Journal of Pain, Vol 4, No 4 (May), 2003: pp 184-189. (FULL TEXT)
13. Troyanovich SJ, Harrison DD, Harrison DE. Motion palpation: it's time to accept the evidence. J.Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1998;21:568–571.
14. Tullberg T, Blomberg S, Branth B, Johnsson R. Manipulation does not alter the position of the sacroiliac joint. A roentgen stereophotogrammetric analysis. Spine. 1998;23:1124–1128.
15. Schmid A, Brunner F, Wright A, Bachmann LM. Paradigm shift in manual therapy? Evidence for a central nervous system component in the response to passive cervical joint mobilization. Man Ther. 2008 Oct;13(5):387-96
16. Bialosky JE, Bishop MD, Price DD, Robinson ME, George SZ; The mechanisms of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain: a comprehensive model. Man Ther. 2009 Oct;14(5):531-8 (FULL TEXT)
17. Joel E Bialosky, Mark D Bishop, Steven Z George, and Michael E Robinson; Placebo response to manual therapy: something out of nothing? J Man Manip Ther. 2011 Feb; 19(1): 11–19. (FULL TEXT)
18. Diane F Jacobs and Jason L Silvernail; Therapist as operator or interactor? Moving beyond the technique. J Man Manip Ther. 2011 May; 19(2): 120–121. (FULL TEXT)
19. Bahram Jam; A new Paradigm in Manual Therapy: Abandoning Segmental Motion Palpation. July 15, 2016 (FULL TEXT) APTEI.ca
20. Adam Fehr’s thoughtful blogpost series about manual therapy (the orthopaedic sort) with lots of references:3. Manual therapy: Treating under contemporary manual framework